Friday 23 September 2022

Novel Review: Bethlehem Boys by Jeffrey Briskin.

 I reviewed this novel on 15/02/20 in another blog, now defunct. 

Bethlehem Boys.


One late night in the year 1 AD, Senior Constable Gidon of the Bethlehem Town Watch begins what should be a routine crime investigation. Three chests of treasure given by visiting scholars to a newborn boy they believe is the long-awaited Messiah are stolen from a barn housing the infant’s family. But when an eyewitness is murdered and similar treasures end up in the possession of another family who claims their newborn son is the real Messiah, Bethlehem’s residents form fanatical factions supporting each infant, threatening to turn this sleepy village into a theological battleground. Gidon soon finds himself at the center of a maelstrom of dangerous political and religious intrigues with far-reaching implications that will ultimately determine the fate of these two Bethlehem boys-and the future of the world’s monotheistic faiths.

Learn more at www.bethlehemboys.com.

Perspective by Peter:


I was asked by the author to review this novel. I had been unable to until now. The description drew me in and I looked forward to reading this.

This novel is well-written. Briskin has an excellent command of the English language and his application of a police-procedural is also well done. It is these two pillars that form the basis of this novel. I was drawn in and found it riveting. I found myself aligning myself with a few of the now cliche review sayings, “I could not put it down”, “keeps you coming back for more”.

Briskin seems to be the master of weaving all the elements into a novel such as this to transport you to the era of the novel’s setting. You will feel as if you are there. He has successfully depicted the feel of Bethlehem in Judea and the customs, hierarchy, religious and civil laws and the attitude of the people. I loved this. And to further add realism and genuineness to this setting, he adds the Hebrew words to many and relevant elements of this era.

As he states in the Foreword,
As Bethlehem Boys is narrated by a Jewish man living in a Jewish village more than thirty years before Christianity began, transliterated Hebrew is used for names and places and religious ideas and concepts to create a more authentic feel for its time and setting. To aid in comprehension, English translations for many of these Hebrew words-and a few locales in Latin named by the Romans who occupied Judea at the time-appear in footnotes.
Here are a few examples,

Isiyim is the Essenes of Qumran,

Yeshua is Jesus,

Notsrim is Nazarenes,

Yerushalayim is Jerusalem

King Dovid is King David

Galilim is Galileans

Ivrit is Hebrew

Yosef is Joseph

Miryam is Mary

This works well with the Kindle device and Kindle App as you can press on the footnote number next to the word and get the English meaning. However, I found I had to return to a few of the footnotes and I could not remember these English meanings. Some I could decipher, such as Yerushalayim for Jerusalem. While most readers might find this distracting from the flow of the novel and the mounting suspense and intrigue of the murder investigation and everything else that Briskin has going on in the background, I found that having a curiosity about this era, and a love of the Hebrew language helped me in this. I find this inclusion worthwhile, as not only are you entertained, you do learn a lot from all this. It also adds depth to the plot and worldbuilding.

I loved all the characters that lived in Bethlehem except for the corrupt Reb Lemuel ben Kfir, the town magistrate and member of the Sanhedrin. But I guess most readers will come to despise him once they see what he is like. Briskin brings these characters to life such that you relate to them, sympathise with them, enjoy their humour and the rogueness of Reuven.

I was engrossed in all aspects of this novel until I came to the part where Gidon’s investigation into the murder of the sole lead in this investigation leads him to the Nochmah, leader of the Isiyim (Essenes of Qumran). I had no idea what I was to read next and it caused me to stop reading for a while. The following account I have reproduced from the novel to show what my shock is about. But before I do, I should say that I am all for poetic licence and speculative musings in a novel but I find it crosses the line when an author uses one or both of these on biblical doctrine, event or such and present it in another form that is virtually the opposite of what the Biblical states. In the account below, we have Gidon interviewing the spiritual leader of the Essenes (Isiyim) about the murder of the lead in the investigation and a piece of evidence that was found that led Gidon to the Essene community. It ends up with the Nochmah giving Gidon more of the spiritual background and importance of the two messiahs. It is here that my disappointment in this novel started.

I have added the English translation of the Hebrew word in bracketed italics). 

“If you’re not a priestess what do you do here?” “I am a guardian of the past, and a herald of the future.” “You’re a soothsayer?” She chuckled. “Lucky for you no Isiyim (Essenes of Qumran) heard you compare me to a common fortune teller. I don’t dabble with tea leaves and horoscopes. I reconcile the ancient words of the Prophets with the events of today to understand what is to come.” “To the Isiyim?”

“To all the scattered children of Yisroel (Israel), wherever they dwell. My agents in Yehud, Egypt, Assyria, Perea, Nabataea, Persia, Ethiopia and Rome bring news that I scry to infer Elohim’s intentions.”

I paused before asking, “Is Yeshua the Messiah?” She waited a long time before answering. “He is a Messiah.” I took a deep breath. Could it really be true that this baby would someday become king of the Yehudim (Jews)? But how could he- “Wait. What do you mean ‘a Messiah’?”

“He is one of two.” It took a moment for her remark to sink in.

“What?” “The Apocalypts (could not find a definition of these anywhere) believe that there can be only one leader of our people at a time. Even some of the Sedukim are beginning to embrace this belief. But the history of the Yehudim (Jews) proves this is wrong. The Patriarch Yaakov’s (Jacob) twelve sons became the leaders of the twelve tribes of Yisroel (Israel). After the exodus from Egypt, the Prophet Moshe (Moses) and his brother Aharon (Aaron) shared the spiritual leadership of the children of Yisroel during their forty years of wandering in the desert. And before the Bavel (Babylonians) destroyed Yerushalayim (Jerusalem), the Holy Land was divided into two kingdoms, Yisroel to the north and Yehud (Judea) in the south. So why should there only be one Messiah? The Isiyim believe that several Messiahs can exist at the same time, each one playing his own role in advancing the progress of our people. And right now they believe that two newborn infants will eventually free the Yehudim from the spiritual abyss into which the Romans and their vassal kings and false priests have herded them.”

“If Yeshua is one Messiah, who is the other?”

Her eyes twinkled. “I think you know the answer to that question.”

I thought for a moment before answering. “Yochanan ben Nogah.”

She nodded. “Yes.” Grabbing several scrolls, she continued, “A careful study of the writings of the Prophets foretells the appearance of two Messiahs in Yehud at the same time. In one example-”

Rising to my feet, I said, “Thank you, but I’m here to find a murderer. I don’t have time for a religious lesson-”

“Sit!” she commanded. Against the will of my mind, my body obeyed.

“You believe your mission is to solve a crime. But there is much more to it than that. Your fate is linked to the fates of these two infants, and you must understand the context. Because what you do-or don’t do-in the next few weeks will determine the future of these two children and all Yehudim. Are you ready to listen?”

I felt the hairs on my neck stand on end.

“Yes.”

Opening a scroll, she said, “In his testament, the Prophet Yeshayahu (Isaiah) foretells the coming of a Messiah who will fight to restore righteousness among our people. This Messiah is Yochanan ben Nogah.”[Isaiah 9:1-7] Before I could respond, she grabbed another scroll and said, “And the Prophet Michah foretells the appearance of a different Messiah whose lineage goes back to ancient times, who will nourish his flock in the strength of Elohim and bring peace to the world. This Messiah is Yeshua ben Yosef.”[Micah 5:1-5] “How can there be two kings of the Yehudim?” “That is another misconception. None of the prophecies say that the Messiah will restore the kingdom of Yisroel.”

I waited a long time before asking, “Then what will they do?”

“Yeshua will grow up to become the most famous rabbi in Yehud (Judea). He will be known for working wonders such as restoring eyesight to the blind and bringing the dead back to life.”

I nodded. “We Yehudi have always been impressed by miracle-workers.”

“He will gain many followers among the people. But he will run afoul of the priests and the Romans by condemning the corruption of the wealthy and powerful, while championing the poor and the meek.”

“The authorities won’t like that message.”

She nodded. “He will make many enemies who will try to silence him. They will succeed, but his teachings will live on and spread far and wide among the Yehudim, even after his death.”

I rubbed my chin and thought about the son of Yosef sleeping in his cradle. And that brought up another question. “Yeshua’s mother claims she is a virgin.”

She sighed. “Ah, yes. The virgin birth. So much time has been spent in disputation of this subject. All because of one word.” “What do you mean?” She grabbed another scroll. “The Prophet Yeshayahu (Isaiah) again. In another prophecy he says that a woman will bear a boy named ‘Elohim is with us.’[Isaiah 7:14] He uses the word ‘almah’ to describe the mother. Do you know what this word means?”

I had to think back to my Ivrit (Hebrew) lessons from long ago before answering. “Young woman?”

“Correct. It can also mean ‘a woman of childbearing age’ or ‘an unmarried woman.’ But many claim it also means ‘virgin.’ Some have interpreted this to mean that the Messiah will be born of a woman untouched by man.”

“The mother said she was visited by an angel who told her she would receive seed from Heaven.” She nodded.

“That is one way Yeshua could have been conceived.”

I was a bit relieved. “So, her claim may be true?”

She pushed the scroll aside. “This is a matter of great debate among the Isiyim. Of course, with Elohim, anything is possible, so some do believe that Yeshua may be an angel in human form. Or even the son of the Almighty Himself.”

Did I detect skepticism in her voice?

“But there are doubters?”

“Yes.”

“What do they say?”

“Well, for one thing, other than the testimony of Yosef and Miryam there is no physical proof of this virgin birth. But the theological argument against it is that the Holy One has always appointed adult men to lead our people and carry out His wishes. If He wanted a divine being to be the Messiah why would He require a woman to bear and nurture it? Surely such a being could descend fully formed straight from Heaven.”

She waved a hand. “Anyway, the nature of Yeshua’s conception and birth is irrelevant, since he is a Messiah nonetheless.” “What about Yochanan?”

“Oh, he was conceived the traditional way.”

“I mean, what is his fate?”

“He will one day be proclaimed a Messiah and lead a rebellion against the Romans. But he will not succeed. His death will result in the destruction of many of our ancient institutions.”

I said nothing for a few minutes, pondering the destinies of these two babies.

“If neither of these Messiahs restores the kingdom of Yisroel, why do the Isiyim wish to protect them?”

She pointed the yad at me.

“An excellent question. To answer it, you must think like the Isiyim. They believe that the purpose of a Messiah is to hasten Elohim’s establishment of a new Covenant with the Yehudim. One where we will earn the favor of the Almighty through piety, prayer and good works rather than by establishing kingdoms, requiring pilgrimages and Temple sacrifices and forcibly converting our enemies. In different ways, and at different times, these two infants will facilitate this transformation. Exactly when and how has not been revealed to me…yet.”

(Briskin, Jeffrey. Bethlehem Boys: A Novel (pp. 132-137). The Parkav Press. Kindle Edition.)

Now I don’t know if the author has any solid evidence to back up or prove the existence of two messiahs, and this is the first I am finding out about this. I need to take it as part of a fictional story. But the impressions I get from the author’s use of speculative musing and poetic licence is that this undermines or lessens who Jesus is, despite the author stating that he has depicted this novel as affirming the divinity of Jesus,
“…..events in the story (in hindsight, naturally) affirm the divinity of the baby Jesus and the fate that awaits Him, the Jewish people, and those who later accepted Jesus as their Savior.” 
It also undermines the fact that God could not achieve all He wants to achieve, with one Messiah, His son, Jesus, but he had to have another, a human, to achieve the rest. Also, I do find it dangerous to use one Bible verse to support the existence and role of this human messiah and others to support that of Jesus’ role and purpose.

I also find it more effective to use poetic licence and speculative musings in the gaps in the Biblical narrative and where they do not undermine, weaken or twist existing Biblical doctrine, events, outcomes or dishonor God in the process.

Sure, I can say this is fiction and it is not to be taken seriously but putting aside the entertainment value of any fiction novel, there is also other reasons why an author/novelist writes. There is always a message, a theme or to get his opinion out there. I have read plenty of speculative fiction novels where their poetic licence is used for the uplifting of the reader, to encourage their faith and relationship with God or to educate on Biblical lessons and a myriad of others. I outline them here.

However, fiction can be used to attack existing doctrine, ideologies or people or organisations. There is a saying, “the power of story”. Even Jesus used stories in the form of parables to educate and show us how to live aspects of our lives and the error of our sinful nature. To me, this is why speculative fiction is best used to support existing Biblical doctrine, honor God, promote the Gospel and reinforce the spiritual warfare we are engaged in whether we like it or not, or realise it or not.

Now, I don’t know the reasons why Briskin depicted two messiahs. I pray his intentions were honourable. All I have to go is what he explained in the Author/Novel Spotlight I hosted with him in June, 2019,
For a long time, I had two ideas for novels competing for my attention. I wanted to write a humorous mystery novel set in ancient times with a Greco/Roman-era equivalent of a grizzled Inspector Columbo/Spenser type as its hard-boiled crime-solving protagonist. And, as a Jew who has always greatly admired the teachings of Jesus, I’ve always thought about writing a novel that offered a view of his early life from a Jewish perspective. Bethlehem Boys offered me the opportunity to combine both ideas in one book.

While the story begins with the theft of the Gifts of the Magi, and Jesus, Joseph and Mary are important supporting characters, the story itself is not strictly about Jesus. However, the narrative does incorporate various narrative elements of the Nativity story, although some are conveyed in ways that are different than their depictions in the Gospels. Without giving too much away, events in the story (in hindsight, naturally) affirm the divinity of the baby Jesus and the fate that awaits Him, the Jewish people, and those who later accepted Jesus as their Savior.
I promoted this novel with what he gave me from the criteria I gave him. Maybe I should add to the Author/Novel Spotlight criteria is there any questionable, or controversial issues, motivations the author has that question/undermine existing Biblical doctrine or God! This is worth considering.

Whenever I get to a situation like this in a novel, I always choose to continue to see how it all pans out and to see to what extent the author goes in the direction he has. Now, putting aside my disappointment in this speculative slant, I did enjoy the rest of the story, the murder investigation coming to an effective end and all loose ends tied up with appropriate and satisfying outcomes. I can say that Justice was served and the Bethlehem Watch lived up to the name that is displayed above the doorway of the Watch, Tzedakah (Hebrew for Justice).

Would I read another novel from Briskin? Not if he continues to speculative fiction this way. However, I do enjoy his novel construction, his command of the English language and how he keeps you in the novel as if you were there. I would miss that.

Recommended but not for the speculative slant explained herein.

If you would like to investigate this novel further, click on the link below: 



Please note: As an Amazon Associate, I am required to disclose that book cover images or titles of novels in this post are paid links if they are linked to Amazon and result in a sale.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Peter!

    It's been a few years (and a pandemic) since we last had contact.

    I never wrote back to you to respond to or refuse your review of Bethlehem Boys because, as a whole, your central objections to the concept of dual messiah is completely reasonable coming from the perspective of someone with a strong belief that the Gospels present the only acceptable narrative of the life of Jesus.

    In fact, the only thing I only silghtly objected to at all was that you included so much of the pivotal Nochmah chapter in your Amazon review. I didn't mind your criticism, but, heck, that's giving the narrative store!

    I don't want you to think that, when you chose to create your excellent "Author's Spotlight" before the book came out, that I was intentionally withholding information from you. After all, many of the books you review on the site are speculative takes on Old Testament stories. As a Jew, I don't mind this at all, since for every writing that was included as canon in both the New and Old Testaments there were dozens of others (like the Gnostic gospels) that were rejected.

    And, to one of your questions in your review, the Essenes actually did believe that two messiahs could exist at the same time. However, they had a rather different view of what messiah meant. They believed that one messiah would be the "good" messiah and the other would be the "evil" messiah. Obviously, not exactly the same as I portrayed the idea in Bethlehem Boys, but then again, the story is told from the perspectives of Jews living at the dawn of the Common Era, so they would not have had any inkling at all of who the baby Yeshua would become (although I went to great lengths to have the Nochmah predict what would happen to Yeshua (based on her reading of the infant's thoughts) following as close I felt reasonable to what was written in the Gospels.

    Anyway, I do have you to thank for helping bring a degree of notoriety to the book. Before your review, I sold a few hundred copies. After your review, sales skyrocketed, with Australia becoming one of the largest markets for the book. I can only think that your review helped sparked interest. And I will tell you that you are certainly not the only Christian reader who voices objections similar to yours. (I even heard similar criticism from a few Jews for Jesus!)

    I'm also writing because I've relaunched my web site, www.bethlehemboys.com, and I include a page devoted to showcasing your author spotlight and also providing a link to your review of the book, mentioning your theological objections. I hope that this at least drives more traffic to your site.

    Sincerely,

    Jeff Briskin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It is awaiting moderation.