Monday 5 September 2022

Interview with Novelist, Barry Napier, and His New Release, As Far Away As Possible.

 I interviewed Barry Napier on 06/05/19 in another blog, now defunct. 

Today, I am interviewing Christian novelist, Barry Napier. I was introduced to Barry when he requested I review his novel, Bound (demon possession, deliverance and spirtual warfare). That was a great novel. 

His new novel, As Far Away As Possible has just been released and I am pleased to interview him here to talk about him as an author and his new novel.

So grab a coffee, sit back and let Barry tell you about his writing and his new novel.

Welcome, Barry, thanks for stopping by!

How about we start with you telling us what inspired you to become an author? Has it always been a desire of yours to write?

Thanks for inviting me here, Peter!


I’ve known I wanted to write as early as the age of 12. I spent my younger years reading these small folk tale sort of books at my grandmother’s house, which led me to reading spookier campfire tales and local legends. Somehow, that led to me purchasing a used copy of Stephen King’s Eyes of the Dragon when I was in fourth grade. Halfway through that book, I knew I wanted to be a writer. It was the first book I’d ever read hat made me feel grown up, and not just because it was more of an adult sort of book. It felt more important and solid than anything else I’d read. But I didn’t start really thinking about being a writer until I read some of King’s short stories. I became obsessed with the idea of writing expansive stories in such a small form. So I started writing. I got my first rejection letter when I was fifteen or sixteen. It was from Eldritch Tales. And even though it was a rejection, it was a very happy day. It was proof that I had written this thing, and that someone that knew a great deal about writing had read it and taken the time to sign a form letter and drop it in the mail to me. So I just kept writing and writing. And here we are today... 

You’re currently promoting your new novel, As Far Away As Possible. Can you tell us what it’s about?

To give something a little different from what you can read on the back cover, it’s about a stubborn online journalist that sets out to debunk a miracle-working preacher but ends up chasing after something of supernatural origins that slowly starts to skew the way he looks at the world. Part supernatural thriller and part slow-burn drama, it’s a story that brings us face to face with the difference between belief and faith. And there’s some very fun cat-and-mouse sort of moments in there as well.
 

What inspired you to write As Far Away as Possible?

Having been a non-believer for the first 27 years of my life, I know all of the questions used to mock Christianity. One of them, obviously, is where are all of the miracles? We read about countless miraculous encounters with God and His power in the Bible, so where are they today? Honestly, it’s a question that I think a lot of believers still struggle with, too. So I wanted to answer that question with speculative fiction...but in a way that wasn’t guided by a blatant (albeit fictitious) miracle. I wanted to use the supernatural, but not in a way that was a copout in explaining how God can indeed work miracles through His people. This is one of those stories where the slightest of details can spoil almost the entire thing, so I have to be careful about what I say in terms of what the book is about. But I wanted to address that above question and along the way, I realized it was leaning towards another topic that is often mocked by unbelievers and even stepped around by Christ followers. I can’t tell what that topic is without spoiling the book, but it is closely linked with miracles and a sort of divine power that I think many of us either ignore or gloss over because we don’t fully understand it.
 

Do you think there is anything significantly different about Christian Fiction, as opposed to non-Christian Fiction?

I think the audience makes it different. It’s an audience that you have to keep in mind while writing. While I know the majority of my readers won’t get upset or fear they are going to Hell if I use some profanity, I still have to write under the assumption that a more conservative Christian might read the work. I also think that Christian fiction—or any kind of art that has the term “Christian” attached to it—is automatically entering the world at something of a disadvantage.
 
I have never liked the word “Christian” added to anything, be it books or music or whatever. Sure, for some, art it is a given. Steven Curtis Chapman is certainly Christian music. But for art that isn’t overtly Christian, I think the term is a hindrance.
 

Does As Far Away as Possible contain a fairly clear Christian message?

Absolutely. But is it so subjectively Christian in scope that the story would be ruined if all Christian elements were taken out of it? No, not at all. So while I understand that labelling it as “Christian” for the sake of categorical purposes on Amazon and in bookstores is a necessity, I also think it’s unnecessary in terms of labelling it in terms of genre.
 

What advantages or challenges does a writer in your genre face in today’s fiction market?

I mentioned some of it above. But—and I may upset some people with this answer—I feel that a lot of today’s Christian art hurts a lot of up and coming writers, musicians, and other artists. Secular consumers see Christian media as cheesy and watered down...and rightfully so. I think the challenges writers of Christian fiction face today is to write truthfully while proving to secular consumers that it’s not all glory, glory and hallelujahs and stories where grace saves the day in a methodically scripted and non-
confrontational way.
 
But on the flip side, as Christians, we also need to convey the story and give credit where it is due—credit to grace and Christ and redemption. Sometimes, it truly can feel like a chess match. It’s actually something I cover a bit in As Far Away as Possible.
 

When writing, how do you keep track of timelines, ideas, inspiration and such? By notes on the computer, a notebook perhaps?

I do. It’s usually just on a plain old notebook, but I sometimes use Google Docs just for easier access.
 

Do you prefer to extensively plot your stories (plotter), or do you write them as they come to you (pantser)?

A bit of both, actually. I put on the Plotter hat when it comes to outlines and most character descriptions and backgrounds. But once the outline is put together, the vast majority of what comes next is very much from my Pantser side. When I go back through for final draft work, the Plotter comes back out, making sure the Pantser has kept something of an eye for detail and didn’t ruin the whole thing.
 

What kind of reaction are you hoping to receive from readers?

The easy answer is I just hope readers enjoy it. The deeper answer is that I hope it makes people think...not just about preconceptions of old Biblical views, but about what Christian entertainment can be. The story always comes first for me. If a believer reads it and feels that I maybe crossed a few lines and they feel uncomfortable, I wouldn’t be upset. On the other hand, if it can stir some conversations about faith and pre-conceived notions about Christ followers among a non-Christian crowd, that, to me, is a bigger win.
 

What was the hardest part of writing your novel?

It’s very important to me to write this sort of fiction without causing non-believers to roll their eyes and walk away. I have read far too much Christian fiction that was just a cheap attempt to hammer the gospel over the heads of non-believers. So for me, as I said above, the story has to come first. Sure, I’ll start with a topic I want to address or maybe even some theological question or truth that I think could translate well to speculative fiction. But the story is the most important thing to me...not making sure I have efficiently bludgeoned the reader with scripture or cheesy and overdone Christian sentiments. It’s a difficult balance to maintain, really. For instance, while there might not be a fundamentally clear picture of the gospel message in As Far Away as Possible, it does deal with some heavy-handed theological issues. And I don’t approach that from the standpoint of thinking non-believers are wrong. I approach it in a way that I hope might draw the attention of non-believers to Christ. But as a story-teller, the most important thing is trying to write a story that is entertaining to everyone—believer and non-believer alike—even if the Christian elements weren’t enough to push a non-believer along on their spiritual journey.
 

How has writing and being an author impacted your relationship with Jesus Christ or vice versa?

It has transformed my writing completely. My first published novel was grim and dark...mainly for the sake of being grim and dark. Don’t get me wrong...it still holds a special place in my heart, but the person that wrote it was selfish, a little on the morbid side, and lacking any sort of clear spiritual guidance. (It also shows signs of a writer that had not yet learned the craft, but that’s another topic altogether).
 
When I gave my life to Christ, I felt Him asking me for my gifts and talents almost right away. I had no idea what that looked like at first but slowly came to understand. It did not mean that I had to give up horror or the darker side of story-telling. In fact, I am coming to understand more and more how horror and the supernatural are amazing vehicles to share the gospel and tell redemptive stories.
 
Sure, age and experience and practice have all played a part in getting me to where I am today, but I do feel that when I was able to submit my writing under His authority, something sort of shifted. I honestly can’t quite explain what it was. The best I can come up with is that I no longer am only writing to maybe cause the reader to get a little spooked or to read the book on the edge of their seats, but also to bring an element of faith into the mix. The trick, of course, is not forcing it in, making sure it is a natural and accommodating part of the story.
 

Do you have a favorite genre? Is it the same genre you prefer to write?

For the longest time, I was a horror traditionalist. It was just about the only thing I read. But somewhere in my late twenties, I started reading dark detective novels...the gritty sort of sludgy detective thrillers. Anything with a good twist is always appreciated as well.
 
In terms of my writing, I do find horror seeping back in from time to time. But it’s sort of morphed into more of a supernatural thriller sort of feel. Don’t get me wrong...I still enjoy sneaking in a creepy scene here or there, but the core of most of my writing these days is more along the lines of thrillers or paranormal mystery.
 

What do readers have to look forward to in the future from you?

I have currently started to re-release an older supernatural thriller series, featuring the character of Cooper M. Reid. The first two books, Dark Water and Rival Blood, are currently available, with Book 3 coming later this year, and Book 4 due sometime by the end of 2019 or early 2020. I am currently in talks about having a strange little Middle-Grade book published but nothing has been signed. I also have a few other books in the works, but none in the finished stages just yet.
 

Your readers can keep in touch with you on the following social media platforms:

 

Barry, thank you! I love interviewing authors about their novels. I feel that the more the reader knows about the backstory of the novel, the more they will enjoy reading it and be influenced by it positively. Knowing how an author thinks and how they craft their novels, also adds to the appreciation of the novel and keeps the reader loyal to the genre and the author.

I look forward to having you as my guest in the future with your next novel. 

If any reader would like to read an excerpt or buy As Far Away As Possible, click on the image below. 



Readers and reviews are an author’s best asset, so I encourage any reader, to consider reading As Far Away As Possible and submit a review on Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest (or any other social media you subscribe to).

Reviews help promote an author’s novel to potential readers and encourage the author to keep writing. Reviews also help get the author’s message (and God’s message) to the reader, whether Christian or not, who may need encouragement and support in their lives while being entertained by the story.

Please note: As an Amazon Associate, I am required to disclose that book cover images or titles of novels in this post are paid links if they are linked to Amazon and result in a sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is awaiting moderation.