Wednesday 29 November 2017

Guest Blogger: Dennis Bailey and His Debut Novel: Army of God

Today, my guest is novelist, Dennis Bailey. I first came across Dennis when I saw his debut novel, Army of God on Facebook. As soon as I saw the cover depicting a scene relating to Noah's Ark, I knew I had to investigate this novel further. I contacted Dennis for more information and I liked what I read. From that I offered him this guest post. One of the unique aspects of this novel is Dennis' take on the speculative element he had included in the plot and that you can see on the cover. If you have not worked this out yet, you will just have to read on to find out!

I am reading this novel at the moment and it is very impressive!

So sit back and let Dennis describe the background to his novel and identify the unique speculative aspect  he has included. But first a little about Dennis:

Dennis Bailey is a retired police detective, sex crimes investigator, and devoted researcher of the Word of God. His experience in the criminal justice system gives him a unique insight into the workings of the perverse criminal mind. Combined with his investigative and analytical skills, he uses this knowledge to search the Scriptures for personalities from which to create unforgettable characters and story lines.

Now let me hand you over to Dennis so he can describe the background to his debut novel: 

Hello, I’m Dennis Bailey and I’m the author of the just released Biblical thriller, Army of God. It’s a novel set during the time of the great flood recorded in the book of Genesis, and tells the story of how the animals of Noah’s Ark rose up to defend it against an invading army. But before telling my story, I’d like to thank Peter for giving me the opportunity to spotlight the novel on his website.

I wish I could say it has been my lifelong desire to become a writer, that like so many famous authors the itch had followed me since childhood. It hasn’t. In fact, it wasn’t until four years after I’d retired from a 28-year police career that I gave any thought to the idea of writing fiction. I had read Jerry Jenkins’ hugely popular Left Behind series, a chronology of end times events detailed in the Book of Revelation, and I felt a call to try something similar with one of my favorite Old Testament stories, Noah’s Ark. That’s when I sat down for the first time and began typing a scene for a story that had been on my heart for years. I was fifty-four.

Thus was the genesis of the idea for my first novel. It is an effort to bring to life the characters of Noah’s time in a suspense-filled, action-packed adventure while maintaining full fidelity to the Scriptures.

Now I know what some of you purists are thinking, “How does a novel that purports to adhere to the Bible include as part of its storyline a premise about the animals defending the ark?” My answer is that just because it wasn’t recorded doesn’t mean it couldn’t have happened. Lest we forget, Noah’s entire one hundred-plus year ordeal is condensed into four short chapters (Genesis 6-9) of Scripture. Undoubtedly, numerous details of events that occurred during this period were never documented, meaning that we must turn to other supplemental sources to fill in the blanks.

In this case, you may be surprised to learn that several ancient Hebrew texts reference a confrontation where a group of people trying to break into the ark were destroyed by the animals that surrounded it. And while the details of such a struggle are not recorded as part of the Biblical record, the Scriptures are rife with examples of how God called to service members of His animal kingdom. Students of the Bible will remember how He commanded armies of frogs, lice, and flies to afflict the Egyptians preceding the Exodus, shut the mouths of lions to spare His servant Daniel, and sent the great fish to keep Jonah from fleeing to Tarshish.

Now if the Lord could use those creatures, I didn’t consider it heresy to suggest that the animals identified in Genesis 6 could have been organized to form an army capable of protecting the ark.

Of course, all this is mere conjecture, offered as background to support the premise of a fictional story. On the other hand, I hope the reader will allow their imagination to consider the possibilities this story proposes, recognizing the awesome power of God and His ability to use the whole of His creation to help exercise His will.

Incidentally, that scene I wrote eight years ago . . . it never made it into the story. But I doubt you’ll notice the difference.

Here’s a description of the novel to peak your interest:

One of the most beloved and enduring stories of all time . . .
One of the most recognizable characters in history . . .

A plot by a rival to kill Noah and his family is thwarted by a beautiful young woman, who joins them as they flee the ancient Biblical city of Eden. A year later, the Lord reveals His plan to destroy the earth by flood and commands Noah to build an ark. Only the news is met with skepticism and opposition from members of his own family. Eventually, word of the ark reaches Eden, prompting the rival to send an army of five thousand men to destroy it.

However, Noah has an army of his own.

Action, adventure, and suspense combine with the Biblical account of Noah’s Ark to create a heart-pounding page-turner that will stay with you long after the flood waters have receded.

To further tantalize you, check out the Army of God video trailer:



To learn more about Army of God and future titles, visit my website at www.dennisbaileyauthor.com. You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter,

If your interest in this novel has been piqued from reading this and you would like to read more or buy this novel, please click on the PREVIEW or BUY icon on the image below: 


Thank you, Dennis, for explaining the background to Army of God. Speculative fiction always has a great drawcard and I love your take  on this. Who would have thought of the animals of the Ark defending it? I pray that readers will receive this novel well and it serve its purpose in sowing a seed of faith in any reader who considers that the account of Noah's Ark is not just a story but one of truth and paves the way for God's plan for the salvation of man while also showing God for who He is and His faithfulness to mankind.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading Dennis' interview. I was blessed to get an ARC of Army of God, and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It is awaiting moderation.